Friday, April 24, 2009

Two new residents at Casa Suburban Bliss

I have two dwarfs living with me as of today. No, I'm not being politically incorrect about little people, nor am I referring to Sleepy, Happy, or Dopey...it's my new dwarf Meyer Lemon and Clementine Mandarin (orange) trees that I'm talking about. The trees themselves arrived yesterday and the awesome 14" pots today, so Farmer Mick and I went out and did the honors with potting soil, stakes, and garden tape and now their leaves are brightly shining in the sun in front of our entry way. Yay!

Honestly, it's hard to put into words how excited I am about all of our gardening exploits. Running out every day to see how big the soon-to-be-a-gourd squash blossom has gotten, removing the plastic water bottles from atop the lettuce plants (take THAT, Sally Squirrel!) to water then replacing afterwards, and hoping against hope that we'll have plenty of strawberries from the abandoned plot adjacent to mine that I've been watering for a month now...it all makes me irrationally happy. There's something so organic about it (pun not necessarily intended but it does apply as well) and it just makes my spirit sing even though I haven't gone for a walk since Mick got home and the house is cluttered with stuff that came home with Mick and hasn't found a permanent home yet: none of that matters. I am woman and I can grow food, people!

On a separate but related note, I signed up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) weekly delivery of organic produce today. I'm not crazy enough to believe that my little veggies that I just planted a month ago are going to provide for all of Mick and my fruit and vegg needs year-round, so we'll get a small box of produce each and every week to help me reach my goal of 3 veggies and 2 fruits each day. (No dieting, just eating better.)

Also, I found a local, free e-waste recycling service in case anyone's interested in getting rid of a bunch of electronics stuff. Perhaps we're the only people in San Diego with way too many old computers, monitors, routers, etc., but I'm guessing not.

Finally, I have to share a little suburban craziness with you: our local strip mall sushi place next door to Starbucks has valet parking. Seriously. (I couldn't think this stuff up.) Because walking two steps from the empty parking spaces surrounding the valet sign is just too much effort out here in Suburbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment